Instructor: Elisa Garcia
Students have art in Swartley Art Center twice a week for 45 minute classes. They learn about color, line, shape and pattern while exploring drawing, painting, collaging, sculpture, digital art and printmaking. Students work independently and collaboratively, and all students produce a collection of work to represent their work within each medium. They develop the language for talking about art by studying their own work, the work of their peers and professional artists.
- Each student will create a personal collection of artwork within each medium that demonstrates their understanding of the mediums and concepts taught. In addition, children will begin to create and organize a digital portfolio that will showcase their most outstanding art pieces
- Children will be provided with time throughout the year and through various projects to work both independently and collaboratively in groups to practice and develop an understanding of different scale art
- Children will be exposed to art and art history based in the mediums that they will be learning about, while developing a wealth of knowledge of styles that support artists in their work
- Students will develop an appreciation for art while looking at their own work, that of peers and professional art
- Children will develop an art vocabulary for speaking about art and begin to practice how to comment on art viewed
- Students participate in an annual art exhibition with second and fourth grade students