Dwight-Englewood School seeks a part-time Communications Writing Associate, who will report to the Director of Communications & Publications and join a team that also includes a Graphic Designer and a Design & Writing Associate.
The ideal candidate for this position is someone who has a passion for writing and is detail-oriented, highly motivated, and extremely creative. You must have the ability to both initiate and take on writing assignments and projects requiring effective editorial copy following a specific, established voice, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
A strong appreciation for brand is necessary, as is an inherent understanding of how copywriting and design together provide creative, compelling ‘solutions’ to communications challenges and opportunities.
• Support the Director of Communications & Publications and Graphic Design Team in creating content that culminates in a broad variety of communications collateral for print and online use.
• Provide original copywriting, copyediting and/or proofreading support for a broad variety of online and print media (magazines, postcards, paid advertising placements, etc.), and D-E School branded collateral of all types.
• Supplement current work by the Communications Team to handle photography, videography, and social networking needs.
• Support the Communications Director and Graphic Designer when we “inherit” and then integrate and/or directly apply creative assets that are developed externally, e.g., for client departments such as Advancement and D-E 360.
The Writing Associate will provide a much-needed additional support to the D-E Communications & Publications Team, which provides full service, in-house creative design, marketing, branding, media/public relations, and other services to diverse areas and departments within the School, including all three (3) divisions (Lower; Middle; Upper): Advancement (which includes Admissions/Enrollment, Alumni Relations, and Development); College Counseling Office; and D-E 360° (which includes Summer Connections, D-E International, AfterCare & Enrichment, and DELTA). The Writing Associate will help with editorial that appears online on the D-E School website (www.d-e.org) and related microsites (e.g., www.d-etoday.org; de360.d-e.org); all divisional materials (e.g., Handbooks; Student Directory); event programs, invitations, posters, flyers, postcards; and internal/external campus signage.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Dwight-Englewood is proud of its broad interests and excellent reputation, and our brand must reflect that at all times. The Writing Associate candidate must have achieved a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism, or an applicable field. Minimum five (5) years professional writing and/or marketing communications experience is also required, as is a problem-solving, can-do attitude, a commitment to teamwork, and a sense of humor. Experience working in a services-oriented nonprofit organization is required. Experience with photography and/or in using Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop is helpful but not required. Experience working for/with an educational institution / school is also helpful but not required.
Terms of Employment:
• This is a 12 month, 50% (Part-Time) position.
• A minimum of 3 (three) eight-hour (8 hour) workday /week, as well as attendance at faculty meetings and other school-wide meetings and events.
• Professional days are considered workdays and participation in planned activities is mandatory.
Dwight-Englewood School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, ethnicity, age, national origin, religion, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or military veteran status. The diversity of our student body supports our commitment to employ a diverse faculty and staff. Employees from all backgrounds who bring knowledge and expertise in equity, diversity, and multiculturalism are especially encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter,
and a minimum of three (3) writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org