Dwight-Englewood School, the largest independent school in Bergen County, NJ, and a growing, vibrant, and diverse learning community in the New York City metro area, is seeking to fill a Middle School French/Latin teaching position. The teacher will work closely with teachers of other disciplines to provide age-appropriate instruction in the foundational aspects of theater arts: performance, character building, improv, and critical thinking. We seek an energetic, curious teacher who wants to inspire students to learn more about themselves and the world around them.
● Actively support the Mission of the School and put that vision into daily practice.
● Teach five sections of class (split between French and Latin) which meet for three fifty-minute periods per week, divided between seventh and eighth grade classes.
● Meet weekly with the grade level team to discuss students and to coordinate instruction and curriculum.
● Attend weekly departmental and/or divisional meetings after school.
● Serve as an advisor to a small group (usually around ten) of Middle School students
● Participate in overnight field trips and day trips as a chaperone.
● Provide extra help during TAG periods, before school, or other times as needed
● Perform other duties as assigned, such as lunch supervision, etc.
The ideal candidate will offer most or all of the following qualities as well as the qualifications that follow:
● A true love of working with middle school students.
● A personality that is approachable, encouraging, and positive.
● Experience with cross-curricular instruction, project-based learning, and process-based feedback.
● Clear, consistent, and dynamic communication with students, colleagues, and parents.
● Experience leading advisory programs and/or other student-centered programs.
● A growth mindset.
● A Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred), with a strong emphasis on degrees in related fields.
● At least three years of teaching experience, with a strong background in Middle School instruction.
● Personal and professional alignment to the school’s mission, vision, and values.
● Knowledge of and commitment to diversity, multiculturalism, and anti-bias education in all aspects of the work with Middle School students, families, and colleagues.
● Excellent oral, written, and electronic communication skills, in both English and the target language..
● Leadership of after-school activities (in athletics, the arts, or other programs).
Terms of Employment:
● This is a 10-month teaching position.
● Teachers commit to eight-hour workdays as well as attendance at faculty meetings and other school-wide meetings and events.
● Professional days are considered workdays and participation in planned activities is mandatory.
Dwight-Englewood School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, ethnicity, age, national origin, religion, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or military veteran status. The diversity of our student body supports our commitment to employ a diverse faculty and staff. Educators from all backgrounds who bring knowledge and expertise in equity, diversity and multicultural education are especially encouraged to apply.
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com