Dwight-Englewood School (D-E) is a coeducational, independent college preparatory day school of 1028 students, serving Preschool (age 3) through Grade 12. D-E is the product of three merged schools, the oldest of which was founded in 1889. The School is one of the most ethnically diverse in Bergen County, and students represent over 115 different zip codes in New Jersey and New York. Dwight-Englewood is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and the New Jersey Association of Independent Schools and is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools.
The technical director is responsible for operating and maintaining Schenck Auditorium (450 seats) and Hajjar Theater (150 seats). The technical director will, each year, manage and oversee the design of at least four public theater productions (Upper School play and musical, Middle School musical, and Spring Showcase), design lights, props, sound, and special effects. The technical director is also expected to build sets, hang lights, and maintain the backstage areas during the school day. The technical director will possess significant set-building experience, including drafting, carpentry, scenic painting, and welding, and will also maintain backstage areas, keeping them clean and organized. The technical director will work with students on building sets, hanging lights, and building props after school as well as some Saturdays. Responsibilities also include setting up microphones, screens, and technology for school assemblies, guest speakers, and other school related events in Schenck and Hajjar. Supervise live school events. The technical director must be proficient in using AutoCAD and/or Vectorworks. The director of live events reports directly to the technical director.
The successful candidate must have the desire to work with students, and the ability to work well and in a collaborative way with theater directors and colleagues.
The position requires:
- Knowledge of best theater production practices
- Interest in/accumen for working with students and staff in an rigorous but kind independent school
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form
- Creating and implementing a technical theater curriculum for students
- Teaching one tech course per semester, upper school (starting in the second year of employment)
- Leading a middle school tech club once a week
- Purchasing construction materials
- Designing and building the set for two musicals and one play
- Supervising and building sets and props
- Knowledge of scenic painting techniques
- Setting and enforcing safe-use guidelines for equipment
- Routinely performing preventive maintenance on equipment and venues
- Evaluating, sourcing, and purchasing new equipment as approved and needed
- Estimating design costs for each show
- Maintaining inventory of equipment and supplies
- Overseeing tech weekend, production week, and strike
- Ability to lift heavy loads – 50+ pounds
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders
- Ability to manage and execute multiple projects at once
- Ability to work in a team be it creative, staff or faculty
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a positive attitude
This is a twelve month contract, and reports directly to the theater department chair. In the first year, the technical director will have three weeks of summer vacation, starting in the summer of 2024 vacation will be five weeks. The position begins July 1, 2023. The ideal candidate would hold a degree(s) in technical theater and/or ample technical experience as well as experience working with students.
Dwight-Englewood School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, ethnicity, age, national origin, religion, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, or military veteran status. The diversity of our student body supports our commitment to employ a diverse faculty and staff. Educators from all backgrounds who bring knowledge and expertise in equity, diversity, and multicultural education are especially encouraged to apply.